About this online course
Does your work involve the processing of personal data? Do you want to become a Data Protection Officer (DPO)? Do you want to work as a professional and high-level expert at European level in the field of Data Protection? Do you want to gain the EIPA Certification in Data Protection?
Our certified Data Protection Certification course is designed to provide you with excellent preparation. It will answer your questions related to becoming a Data Protection Officer and high-level professional and it will help you deal with everyday data protection issues.
What this course covers:
- The European legal framework for data protection (including the GDPR);
- Key data protection concepts, principles and obligations;
- Actors, roles and responsibilities;
- The role of the DPO, the EDPS (European Data Protection Supervisor) and the national supervisory authorities;
- Severity assessment of data breaches and assurance role of the DPO (accountability, requirements and demonstrating compliance);
- Data protection audits, cyber security, privacy and digital sovereignty;
- Options and solutions for cross- border data transfer and third country data transfers;
- ePrivacy design and impact assessment;
- Grounds for processing, including legitimate interest and consent;
- The rights of data subjects and how to handle them.
Who should join this course:
- Data Protection Officers and other data protection professionals;
- Legal and IT professionals;
- Anyone, in both the public and private sectors, with proven working experience in the processing of personal data;
- Anyone who needs a certification at European level in order to advance their professional career;
- Candidates who wish to take and pass the examination.
Course methodology and highlights
We believe practical knowhow is the key to effective learning. This course therefore includes:
- detailed explanations of the key concepts, principles, actors and roles in the field of data protection and security;
- role plays and group exercises;
- preparatory workshop for the final certification examination (optional);
- insights with case law examples;
- input and coaching on practical issues encountered by participants from the DPO network, European institutions and agencies, Europol, Eurojust, EDPS, national authority, and other data protection experts;
- a highly interactive approach – the structure of the course will give you opportunities to ask questions and share experiences during the dedicated Q&A sessions and online breakout rooms.
To optimise your experience, we also recommend that you follow the optional preparatory workshop for the certification examination, during which time will be devoted to a recap of the essentials, exercises, a discussion and a Q&A session.
After taking this course, you can join EIPA’s dedicated community of practice together with other former participants. Keep in touch and share your ideas with this growing community of professionals on EIPA’s Data Protection LinkedIn group.
By the end of the online course, you will:
By the end of the course, you will:
- be able to process and transfer personal data, and comply with data protection requirements in your day-to-day work;
- be better aware of severity assessments of data breaches, data protection audits, cyber security and privacy;
- have a good understanding of how things work in practice and a vision of the EU’s future in this field;
- have a solid basis for continuous learning as a Data Protection Officer afterwards;
- benefit directly from the insights of data protection experts and benefit from networking opportunities during the online breaks;
- obtain the EIPA attendance certificate;
- take the EIPA data protection certification examination;
- be able to qualify as a data protection professional at European level;
- develop your professional international network in the field of data protection.
On completion of the course, participants can take part in an exam leading to the awarding of the EIPA Data Protection Professional Certificate.
A few details about the examination:
- Examinees can use their own device to take the examination.
- The examination can be taken twice a year at EIPA headquarters in Maastricht, but currently online only (until further notice).
- The examination lasts 2 hours.
- The maximum score obtainable is 100 points and in order to pass the examination, examinees need to obtain 60 points.
In order to guarantee a fair process, two randomly allocated reviewers from the examination board will evaluate the essays separately. The Chair of the examination board will have the last word after seeing the conclusions of both reviewers.
The examination is offered in English only. The time limit for the examination is sufficient for the vast majority of candidates, including non-native English speakers. No points are deducted due to possible grammar or language mistakes.
Handling of exams
EIPA will take all available precautions to ensure the appropriate and secure handling of completed essays.
In the event you did not manage to reach the set threshold and did therefore not pass the exam, you are offered the opportunity to do one examination re-sit for €150 within one year.
The Examination Board
The exam is under the supervision of an examination board. The examination board meets regularly to discuss the certification course requirements and approve the examinations. They discuss as needed to review and resolve any submitted certification appeals. The examination board consists of experts who have proven knowledge of and practical expertise in the field of data protection, one of whom will serve as chair.
Data Protection issues continue to change and it is very important to keep yourself ahead and update your knowledge regularly. Therefore, the EIPA certificate is valid for a period of two years. In order to update your knowledge and maintain the validity of your certificate you will need to attend EIPA’s refresher course on data protection every two years. You will receive an updated certificate after taking part in this.
You can find our full Certification policy here: www.eipa.eu/dataprotection
For this online course we make use of Zoom
Ms Eveline Hermens
Tel.: + 31 43 3296259
EIPA offers a discount to all civil servants working for one of EIPA’s supporting countries, and civil servants working for an EU institution, body or agency.
Who are the supporting countries?
Civil servants coming from the following EIPA supporting countries are entitled to get the reduced fee: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.
For all other participants, the regular fee applies.
Prior payment is a condition for participation.
For administrative reasons you will be charged € 50 for cancellations received within 7 days before the activity begins.
EIPA reserves the right to cancel the activity up to 1 week before the starting date. In that case, registration fees received will be fully reimbursed.
I have a question
The detailed programme of this online course will be available soon.