About this course
Does your work involve the processing of personal data? Do you want to become a Data Protection Officer (DPO)? Do you want to work as a professional and high-level expert at European level in the field of Data Protection? Do you want to gain the EIPA Certification in Data Protection?
Our certified Data Protection Certification course is designed to provide you with optimum preparation. It will answer your questions related to becoming a Data Protection Officer and high-level professional and it will help you deal with everyday data protection issues.
What this course covers:
- The European legal framework for data protection (including the GDPR);
- Key data protection concepts, principles and obligations;
- Actors, roles and responsibilities;
- The role of the DPO, the EDPS (European Data Protection Supervisor) and the national supervisory authorities;
- Cloud computing, big data, analytics, internet of things, data protection and data security;
- Severity assessment of data breaches and assurance role of the DPO (accountability, requirements and demonstrating compliance);
- Data protection audits, cyber security, privacy and digital sovereignty;
- Options and solutions for cross- border data transfer and third country data transfers;
- ePrivacy design and impact assessment;
- Grounds for processing, including legitimate interest and consent;
- The rights of data subjects and how to handle them.
For whom is this course intended:
- Data Protection Officers and other data protection professionals;
- Legal and IT Professionals;
- Anyone, in both the public and private sectors, with proven working experience in the processing of personal data;
- Anyone who needs certification at European level in order to advance their professional career;
- Candidates who wish to take and pass the examination.
Course methodology and highlights
We believe practical knowhow is the key to effective learning. This course therefore includes:
- detailed explanations of the key concepts, principles, actors and roles in the field of data protection and security;
- role plays and group exercises;
- preparatory workshop for the final certification examination (optional);
- extensive insights with multiple case law examples;
- input and coaching on practical issues encountered by participants from DPO network, European institutions and agencies, Europol, Eurojust, EDPS, national authority, and other data protection experts;
- a highly interactive approach – the structure of the course will give you opportunities to ask questions and share experiences, knowledge, needs and challenges with the experts and other participants.
To optimise your experience, we also recommend that you follow the optional preparatory workshop for the certification examination, during which time will be devoted to a recap of the essentials, exercises, a discussion and a Q&A session.
Here at EIPA, we are working to expand our community of practitioners, building on our specialised knowledge in the field of data protection. To this end, we are designing a new dedicated website for our participants to remain fully up to date on the practical implementation of EU data protection regulations. Through this online hub, we will be sharing relevant developments and news on matters ranging from guidelines and decisions to data breaches, new codes of conduct, examples, case studies and much more in order to offer you ongoing support after the course. We believe that facilitating peer-to-peer knowledge exchange is the best way to support you in your everyday activities.
By the end of the course, you will:
- be able to process and transfer personal data, and comply with data protection requirements in your day-to-day work;
- be better aware of relevant tools and existing practices in the field of cloud computing, big data, analytics, internet of things, severity assessments of data breaches, data protection audits, cyber security and privacy;
- have a solid understanding of how things work in practice and a vision of the EU’s future in this field;
- have a solid basis for continuous learning as a Data Protection Officer afterwards;
- benefit directly from the insights of data protection experts, participate in professional dialogues and benefit from networking opportunities during the course;
- obtain the EIPA attendance certificate;
- take the EIPA certification examination;
- be able to qualify as a data protection professional at European level;
- develop your professional international network in the field of data protection.
On completion of the course, participants can take part in an exam leading to the awarding of the EIPA Data Protection Professional Certificate.
A few details about the examination:
- Examinees are requested to bring their own device in order to take the examination.
- The examination can be taken twice a year at EIPA headquarters in Maastricht only.
- The examination lasts 2 hours.
- The maximum score obtainable is 100 points and in order to pass the examination, examinees need to obtain 60 points.
In order to guarantee a fair process, two randomly allocated reviewers from the examination board will evaluate the essays separately. The Chair of the examination board will have the last word after seeing the conclusions of both reviewers.
The examination is offered in English only. The time limit for the examination is sufficient for the vast majority of candidates, including non-native English speakers. No points are deducted due to possible grammar or language mistakes.
Handling of exams
EIPA will take all available precautions to ensure the appropriate and secure handling of completed essays.
In the event you did not manage to reach the set threshold and did therefore not pass the exam, you are offered the opportunity to do one examination re-sit for €150 within one year.
The Examination Board
The exam is under the supervision of an examination board. The examination board meets regularly to discuss the certification course requirements and approve the examinations. They discuss as needed to review and resolve any submitted certification appeals. The examination board consists of experts who have proven knowledge of and practical expertise in the field of data protection, one of whom will serve as chair.
Data Protection issues continue to change and it is very important to keep yourself ahead and update your knowledge regularly. Therefore, the EIPA certificate is valid for a period of two years. In order to update your knowledge and maintain the validity of your certificate you will need to attend EIPA’s refresher course on data protection every two years. You will receive an updated certificate after taking part in this.
You can find our full Certification policy here: www.eipa.eu/dataprotection
European Institute of Public Administration (EIPA)
O.L. Vrouweplein 22
6211 HE, Maastricht
Ms Eveline Hermens
Tel.: + 31 43 3296259
The fee includes documentation and refreshments. Lunches, a reception or dinner are included if mentioned in the programme. Accommodation and travel costs are at the expense of the participants or their administration.
EIPA offers a 10% discount to all civil servants working for one of EIPA’s supporting countries, and civil servants working for an EU institution, body or agency.
Who are the supporting countries?
Civil servants coming from the following EIPA supporting countries are entitled to get the reduced fee: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.
For all other participants, the regular fee applies.
Lunches, the reception or dinner will be served at a restaurant in town. Special dietary requirements (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic) can be indicated once you receive the confirmation of the seminar.
EIPA has special price arrangements with a number of hotels. All hotels are within 10 minutes walking distance from EIPA. Should you wish to make use of this possibility, please book directly via the links below. Payment is to be made directly and personally to the hotel upon checking out. At the time of booking, please mention in the requested field the EIPA project number for your course.
Prior payment is a condition for participation.
For administrative reasons you will be charged €150 for cancellations received within 15 days before the activity begins. There is no charge for qualified substitute participants.
EIPA reserves the right to cancel the activity up to 2 weeks before the starting date. In that case, registration fees received will be fully reimbursed. EIPA accepts no responsibility for any costs incurred (travel, accommodation, etc.).
The detailed programme of this course will be available soon.