EPSA 2021 – “Building a Better Europe for Citizens”
Public administrations across Europe at all levels continue to be faced in 2021 with the exceptional nature of the challenge of COVID 19 which impacts on all aspects of economic activity and public service delivery as well as impacting strongly on public sector finances and increased needs of citizens for support.
Under the overarching theme “Building a Better Europe for Citizens” EPSA 2021 aims to showcase and reward cases submitted by public administrations which have found new solutions in public service delivery and policy-making for the increasingly complex, difficult to address and often multi-dimensional challenges faced by the public sector in Europe.
This year, we received 126 applications in total. After a thorough evaluation, 18 applications were preselected to be presented to the jury. In the final stage, the three best projects in three categories – Innovation, Green and Digital – have been praised during the Award Ceremony on 29 November 2021.
In the category ‘Green’
- First prize: EnerCoach – a digital energy accounting platform for municipalities to monitor energy consumption of public infrastructure, Luxembourg;
- Second prize: Smart infrastructure for smart public administration, Estonia;
- Third prize: Processing invasive alien plants into useful products and input material for industry, Slovenia.
Good Practice Certificate
- R&I Mobility Strategy, Austria
- Renewable Energy from Wastewater –
Wastewater Treatment Plants as Local
Energy Cells, Austria
- Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Sources in Public School Buildings in the
Municipality of Serres, Greece
- Greening of Budapest Metropolitan Area 6th district Terézváros Municipality, Hungary
- IRec, Portugal
- Green Supply Chains, Slovenia
- Green Port Initiative, Spain
In the category ‘Digital’
- First prize: Vienna provides space, Austria;
- Second prize: JustizOnline, Austria;
- Third prize: Cross-border fines, Belgium
Good Practice Certificate
- Relaunch of FinanzOnline and integration of chatbot “Fred”, Austria
- All-in 1 HR, Cyprus
- rEEYplace: Automatic Processing of Substitute Teacher Needs in Public Schools, Cyprus
- Municipality ASP 2.0 (Further development and nationwide extension of the Municipality ASP system), Hungary
- Digital for reconstruction grands, Italy
- Casemates, Luxembourg
- The Electronic Documents Archive, Poland
- Id.gov.pt, Portugal
- Consultas Covid Extremadura, Spain
- City Deal Zicht op Ondermijning, The Netherlands
- Information-supported decision-making, The Netherlands
In the category ‘Innovative’
- First prize: LabX – experimentation laboratory for the public administration, Portugal;
- Second prize: Government buys innovation, Belgium.
Good Practice Certificate
- U25 – Together for young people in Vienna, Austria
- Human Rights Go Local Vienna, the City of Human Rights, Austria
- Blueprint for Artificial Intelligence adoption, Belgium
- Innovative Administration In Cyprus Prisons, Cyprus
- Stay home – the Municipality of Serres stays at work for you, Greece
- The Innovation Laboratory, Latvia
- Raising children’s awareness of sustainable development, Slovenia
- Chivalry in Ljubljana: assisting citizens and improving their quality of life, Slovenia
- The public policy planning and evaluation area, Spain
- My City, My Future!, Turkey
Additionally, two projects were rewarded with an honourable mention for reaction/relevance to the Covid-19 crisis:
- In the ‘Digital’ category: Transparency at the service of health, Spain
- In the ‘Innovative’ category: At a distance, but close to you, Romania.
We sincerely congratulate all the winners!
EPSA – the European Public Sector Awards – is a Europe-wide award scheme for public sector entities at all levels of government which has been organised every two years since 2009 by the European Institute of Public Administration (EIPA).
More than 1500 projects have been submitted to EPSA, EU institutions and agencies and international organisations on the course of the past years. For all European public administrations, EPSA has generated highly valuable know-how and vital results that can be used for the benefit of providing innovative solutions and learning opportunities.
What we do
EPSA brings together the best, most innovative and efficient performers from the European public sector. Our vision is to create an arena in which Europe’s public sector institutions can excel and become an exemplar for the rest of the world. Against this backdrop, the EPSA aims
- to create a common European administrative space
- to devise new administrative problem-solving paradigms
- to foster constructive competition amongst public sector organisations and reward excellence
- to learn from the European leading edge
- to create a network of public excellence and, thus, establish the conditions for a European learning platform on public administration solutions.
EPSA 2021 has the institutional and financial support of 8 European public sector partners from different levels of government – Austria, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, the Province of Limburg, and the City of Maastricht in addition to the European Commission via DG REFORM.