The European Institute of Public Administration (EIPA) was created in 1981 on the occasion of the first European Council held in Maastricht with the constitutional mission to support the EU and its Member States by developing the capacities of their public officials and civil servants in dealing with EU affairs. In fulfilment of its core mission EIPA provides Learning & Development and Technical Assistance across five main areas of expertise:
- EU Governance and policy-making
- EU Law
- EU Policies
- Management of EU Funds
- Public Administration Reform
EIPA is supported with annual contributions of the participating EU countries and an operational grant from the European Commission. The bigger share of EIPA turnover is from own revenues which EIPA generates on the public sector market via contract acquisition and own-initiative products. Expertise is concentrated in EIPA Senior Faculty who are responsible for specialised content input to competitive project applications and delivery (own revenues) and high-quality public goods (return-on-subsidy)
Most of Senior Faculty and the corporate Tender Office are located at EIPA headquarters in Maastricht. In addition, EIPA has an Antenna in Luxembourg, the European Centre for Judges and Lawyers (ECJL), headed by a separate Director.
We would like to strengthen our Management Team and further develop our capacity to deliver on our constitutional mission. Therefore, we are looking for an expert in EU Policy-making and Implementation to take up the role of:
Programme Director Maastricht (F/M)
Location: Maastricht, Brussels
You are a member of the EIPA corporate Management Team, reporting directly to the Director-General. You lead and manage the international team of EIPA Maastricht Faculty members (circa 20 FTEs) in order to ensure high-quality and financially sustainable delivery of EIPA constitutional mission towards its stakeholders and clients. As part of EIPA Maastricht Faculty, you combine your managerial role with the design and delivery of your own portfolio of revenue generating services and public goods.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Leadership in institutional development of content with European added value in core areas of EIPA’s mission.
- Design and delivery of own portfolio (min. 60% of time):
- Develop and maintain own competitive portfolio of revenue generating services within EU Policy-making and Implementation topic, which amounts to minimum 100 billable days per annum; this includes both design improvement and own delivery of already contracted products and the successful market leveraging and own delivery of new products.
- Take up the role of EIPA Project Manager for large-scale and complex contract with EIPA stakeholders and clients.
- Produce regular and highly relevant contribution to EIPA public goods (policy papers, briefs, blogs, etc) on the topic of EU Policy-making and Implementation.
- Team Leadership and Management (up to 40% of time):
- Within the Management Team, contribute to the development of EIPA mid- and long-term corporate strategy, and lead the preparation and implementation of the EIPA Maastricht annual work plan and budget.
- Maintain, expand and further develop institutional engagement with EIPA stakeholders at international, EU and national level to ensure effective representation, anticipatory capture of needs, and beneficiary satisfaction.
- Enhance the content and financial performance of EIPA Maastricht Faculty, including by: leading the further development of Maastricht market portfolio of services and topics, (re) assessing and supervising current and new products, maximising delivery and revenue within existing contracts, exercising forward guidance and due diligence in preparation/implementation of individual work and business plans.
- In close cooperation with Head of Tender Office, increase the acquisition of new projects, in particular by ensuring efficient and competitive quality inputs from Maastricht Faculty, providing where relevant intelligence for capture, leveraging stakeholder engagement.
You are an established expert in EU Policy-making and Implementation with internationally recognised reputation in the field and extensive professional network across the EU. You have in-depth understanding of EU affairs, the EU institutions and the trends and dynamics of EU legislative and policy pipeline. You have extensive professional experience on the EU-Member State policy-making interface and policy implementation in the national context. You have relevant publications and experience in multinational applied research. You have a successful track record of organisational/team management and project management for public sector clients.
Job requirements (unless stated otherwise, all below requirements are “essential”):
- Advanced university degree (minimum Master or equivalent), acquired in the EU, in International Relations, EU Affairs, EU Law, Political Science.
- Fluency in English (at least C1) and knowledge of French. Outstanding drafting and communication skills in English.
- Minimum 10-15 years of professional experience at senior level in EU policy-making and implementation accumulated in an EU institution, consultancy, university or in a research and training organisation working for public sector clients.
- These years to include at least 10 years of institutional leadership role with successful track record of managing on a permanent basis a team of minimum 10 FTEs.
- Proven experience in Project Management of EU funded large-scale projects for public sector clients in one of EIPA areas of expertise is an asset.
- Successful track record of acquiring opportunities in the area of expertise, contracted by EU public sector clients, including at least 5 years of experience in designing and delivering L&D services for public sector audiences on the topic.
- Strong communication, representation, networking and negotiation skills.
- Analytical and strategic thinker.
- At ease with new digital technologies and online learning in general.
A challenging and interesting position as part of the Management Team in an international and multicultural environment. You will work highly autonomously, with a lot of freedom to determine your own activities and projects. At the same time, you will have the opportunity to broaden your knowledge on Europe and extend your (European) network.
An attractive salary, a holiday allowance of 8%, and a generous number of vacation days. The level of the starting salary will depend on the successful candidate’s qualifications, years of relevant experience and level of expertise. In accordance with Dutch tax law (conditions on current residence and distance), a special 30% gross salary tax allowance may apply.
Please contact Ms Anna Koj at Mavence, Brussels.
 At present, 21 EU Member States and Norway are members of EIPA