EIPA’s position as Europe’s leading Institute for public administration needs a modern organisation, demanding investments in staff and business development in order to meet the requirements of tomorrow. In addition to the services for the member states, EIPA’s portfolio of paid activities needs to be further developed.
In view of these developments we are looking for a fulltime:
Business Unit Director (F/M) – Public Administration Expert
located in Maastricht
As the Business Unit Director you will be responsible for the development of new markets and programmes, the acquisition of new opportunities, and the delivery of teaching, research and consulting activities. You will contribute to and support EIPA’s strategic objectives and projects as a member of the Management Team. Reporting directly to the Director-General, you will lead an experienced, international team of around 10 staff members and ensure that services are provided at the highest standards to EIPA’s clients and stakeholders by taking account of developments in the European public sector area. For this role we also expect the new BU director, as a member of the scientific/experts team he will be leading, to develop his own portfolio of teaching, research, and consulting activities, next to his management role.
The main tasks and responsibilities are:
- analysing the public administration market and identify new opportunities;
- establishing and managing professional networks;
- creating, maintaining and developing partnerships and effective working relationships within EIPA and with eternal partners across Europe and further;
- assessing client and stakeholder needs;
- identifying and developing new, high quality products and services, and allocate the required resources;
- supervising and contributing to the acquisition of new projects;
- managing and ensuring the alignment of the product and customers portfolio with the Institute’s goals;
- providing people management (including supervising and evaluating staff) and professional guidance to;
- ensuring good cooperation of the work of the Unit with other units and departments;
- representing EIPA at stakeholder events and relevant forums;
- contributing to the strategic steering of EIPA
- contributing actively to budget process and reporting to management on sales trend and budget achievement.
As an experienced business or public sector manager, you combine excellent managerial and communication skills, innovative ideas and a vision to lead EIPA’s business development, with in-depth knowledge of the European Public Sector, and in particular expertise in the area of Public Administration Innovation and Reform.
- Master degree in a field relevant to this position (Economics, Political Science, Public Management, …) ;
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience;
- At least 5 years of leadership and management experience, and demonstrated ability to motivate and manage an international team;
- Lecturing experience as well as experience in carrying out comparative studies, and/or delivering consulting projects;
- Proven business development experience in an international environment;
- Knowledge of EU public affairs and proven knowledge or experience in the area of European Public Administration Innovation and Reform in particular.
- Strong communication, representation, promotion, networking and negotiation skills;
- At ease with distant teaching and more generally speaking with new digital technologies, including the ability to become a ambassador of these technologies within a European Public Administration context;
- Excellent knowledge of English, both spoken and written (CEFR level: C1 or above).
- MBA or Doctoral degree in a relevant field;
- Knowledge of additional languages of the European Union.
A challenging and interesting position as part of the Management Team in an international and multicultural environment. You will work highly autonomously, with a lot of freedom to determine your own activities and projects. At the same time, you will have the opportunity to broaden your knowledge on Europe and extend your (European) network.
An attractive salary, a holiday allowance of 8%, and a generous number of vacation days. The level of the starting salary will depend on the successful candidate’s qualifications, years of relevant experience and level of expertise. In accordance with Dutch tax law (conditions on current residence and distance), a special 30% gross salary tax allowance may apply. EIPA can also propose a fully equipped apartment at preferred rate within the campus.
Recruitment will take place by Ms. Anna Koj, Deputy Director at MAVENCE (former EARS) in Brussels.