About this course
This is the second module of the three-day seminar on the legal system of the EU and the most important principles governing the adoption and enforcement of European Union law. The module focusses on the actions that can be taken before the Court of Justice of the European Union in order to challenge non-compliance with EU law.
During this module, you will learn about different situations in which Member States risk breaching EU law. Based on a real case, you will learn how to examine potential breaches of EU law and, through an assessment of different legal factors, how to find optimal solutions to the legal problems that present themselves when Member States or individuals apply EU law.
Various small group exercises and discussions will promote a very high level of interactivity and provide enhanced learning opportunities.
The duration of the second module is one day. If you prefer to attend the full 3-day course, please click on Full Course.
What you will learn in this course
- You will acquire in-depth knowledge of the fundamental concepts of EU law and the EU law-making process.
- You will deepen your understanding of the relevance of EU legislation for your daily work and of the obligations imposed by EU law to which you might be subject.
- This tutorial will provide a platform for information sharing and the exchange of experiences.
European Centre for Judges and Lawyers – EIPA Luxembourg
8 rue Nicolas Adames
Ms Stéphanie Gemnig Comodi
Tel: +352 426 230 301
The fee includes documentation and refreshments. Lunches, a reception or dinner are included if mentioned in the programme. Accommodation and travel costs are at the expense of the participants or their administration.
EIPA offers a 10% discount to all civil servants working for one of EIPA’s supporting countries, and civil servants working for an EU institution, body or agency.
Early bird discount
For this course EIPA offers an early bird discount of 50 euro. The early bird deadline is 16 December 2019.
Who are the supporting countries?
Civil servants coming from the following EIPA supporting countries are entitled to get the reduced fee: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.
For all other participants, the regular fee applies.
Special dietary requirements (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic) can be indicated once you receive the confirmation of the seminar.
EIPA has special price arrangements with a number of hotels. All rates are including breakfast and tourist tax. Should you wish to make use of this possibility, please book directly via the links below. Payment is to be made directly and personally to the hotel upon checking out. At the time of booking, please mention in the requested field the reservation code: EIPA, unless indicated otherwise.
- Hotel Novotel Kirchberg****, at the rate of €165, tel.: +352 429848-1; booking page: accorhotels.com (Company ID: SC000002048 – Access Code: IN281LU654).
- Hotel Melia****, via melia.com (booking code: 01350007ZKC), via tel.: +352 27 33 32 06 or via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hotel D’Coque*** via http://www.coque.lu/reservation-dhotel-en-ligne, tel.: +352 43 60 60 222
- Hotel Simoncini****, at the rate of €180, : +352 22 28 44; e-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org; www.hotelsimoncini.lu.
- Hotel Français***, at the rate of €140 tel.: +352 47 45 34; e-mail: email@example.com; hotelfrancais.lu (Reservation code: EIPA).
- Hotel Parc Plaza****, at the rate of €152, (Reservation code: EIPA0118). E-mail: https://www.goereshotels.com/parc-plaza-en
- Hotel Parc Bellevue***, at the rate of €108, (Reservation code: EIPA0118). E-mail: https://www.goereshotels.com/belle-vue-en
- : +352 44 23 23 23 23; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hotel Domus***, at the rate of between €120 and €155,: +352 46 78 78 1; fax: +352 46 78 79; e-mail: email@example.com; www.domus.lu (Reservation code: EIPA).
Railway Station Area
- Hotel City****, at the rate of €189 (Monday to Thursday) and €150 (Friday to Sunday), tel.: +352 29 11 22; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; cityhotel.lu (Reservation code: EIPA)
Confirmation of registration will be forwarded to participants on receipt of the completed online registration form.
Prior payment is a condition for participation.
For administrative reasons you will be charged €150 for cancellations received within 15 days before the activity begins. There is no charge for qualified substitute participants. EIPA reserves the right to cancel the activity up to 2 weeks before the starting date. In that case, registration fees received will be fully reimbursed. EIPA accepts no responsibility for any costs incurred (travel, accommodation, etc.).
|Module 2: Legal actions before the Court of Justice of the EU|
|2.1 LEGAL PROCEDURES FOR COMPLIANCE WITH EU LAW BY MEMBER STATES|
|09.00||The European Commission’s role as ‘the guardian of the EU Treaty’: enforcement actions brought against Member States before the Court of Justice of the European Union
Minas Konstantinidis, Legal Adviser of the Legal Service, European Commission, Brussels
|10.45||Recent cases of non-compliance with EU law: problems in practice
|2.2 LEGAL PROCEDURES FOR CHALLENGING EU LAW|
|13.30||Challenging EU Law: procedures before the Court of Justice of the EU and national courts from the perspective of individuals
|16.30||End of the seminar|