About this course
This is the first module of the three-day seminar on the legal system of the EU and the most important principles governing the adoption and enforcement of European Union law. The module concentrates on the system of legal acts adopted at the EU level as well as the decision-making process for the adoption of EU law. It also offers a short introduction to the four fundamental freedoms within the EU Internal Market.
In this module, you will learn about the system of legal acts that are adopted at the EU level, and a workshop and group discussions will give you an opportunity to read and analyse different EU acts. In addition, a practical case study will help you to better understand the effect that EU law has within national legal systems. Finally, you will learn how to solve cases related to free movement rights that are exercised by individuals within the EU Internal Market.
The tutorial will also provide networking and exchange opportunities between participants. Various small group exercises and discussions will promote a very high level of interactivity and provide enhanced learning opportunities.
The duration of the first module is two days. If you prefer to attend the full 3-day course, please click on Full Course.
What you will learn in this course
- You will acquire in-depth knowledge of the fundamental concepts of EU law and the EU law-making process.
- You will deepen your understanding of the relevance of EU legislation for your daily work and of the obligations imposed by EU law to which you might be subject.
- This tutorial will provide a platform for information sharing and the exchange of experiences.
European Centre for Judges and Lawyers – EIPA Luxembourg
8 rue Nicolas Adames
Ms Stéphanie Gemnig Comodi
Tel: +352 426 230 301
The fee includes documentation and refreshments. Lunches, a reception or dinner are included if mentioned in the programme. Accommodation and travel costs are at the expense of the participants or their administration.
EIPA offers a 10% discount to all civil servants working for one of EIPA’s supporting countries, and civil servants working for an EU institution, body or agency.
Early bird discount
For this course EIPA offers an early bird discount of 50 euro. The early bird deadline is 16 December 2019.
Who are the supporting countries?
Civil servants coming from the following EIPA supporting countries are entitled to get the reduced fee: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.
For all other participants, the regular fee applies.
Special dietary requirements (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic) can be indicated once you receive the confirmation of the seminar.
EIPA has special price arrangements with a number of hotels. All rates are including breakfast and tourist tax. Should you wish to make use of this possibility, please book directly via the links below. Payment is to be made directly and personally to the hotel upon checking out. At the time of booking, please mention in the requested field the reservation code: EIPA, unless indicated otherwise.
- Hotel Novotel Kirchberg****, at the rate of €165, tel.: +352 429848-1; booking page: accorhotels.com (Company ID: SC000002048 – Access Code: IN281LU654).
- Hotel Melia****, via melia.com (booking code: 01350007ZKC), via tel.: +352 27 33 32 06 or via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hotel D’Coque*** via http://www.coque.lu/reservation-dhotel-en-ligne, tel.: +352 43 60 60 222
- Hotel Simoncini****, at the rate of €180, : +352 22 28 44; e-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org; www.hotelsimoncini.lu.
- Hotel Français***, at the rate of €140 tel.: +352 47 45 34; e-mail: email@example.com; hotelfrancais.lu (Reservation code: EIPA).
- Hotel Parc Plaza****, at the rate of €152, (Reservation code: EIPA0118). E-mail: https://www.goereshotels.com/parc-plaza-en
- Hotel Parc Bellevue***, at the rate of €108, (Reservation code: EIPA0118). E-mail: https://www.goereshotels.com/belle-vue-en
- : +352 44 23 23 23 23; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hotel Domus***, at the rate of between €120 and €155,: +352 46 78 78 1; fax: +352 46 78 79; e-mail: email@example.com; www.domus.lu (Reservation code: EIPA).
Railway Station Area
- Hotel City****, at the rate of €189 (Monday to Thursday) and €150 (Friday to Sunday), tel.: +352 29 11 22; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; cityhotel.lu (Reservation code: EIPA)
Confirmation of registration will be forwarded to participants on receipt of the completed online registration form.
Prior payment is a condition for participation.
For administrative reasons you will be charged €150 for cancellations received within 15 days before the activity begins. There is no charge for qualified substitute participants. EIPA reserves the right to cancel the activity up to 2 weeks before the starting date. In that case, registration fees received will be fully reimbursed. EIPA accepts no responsibility for any costs incurred (travel, accommodation, etc.).
|08.30||Registration of participants|
|09.00||Welcome and mutual introduction
Tomasz Kramer, Lecturer, European Centre for Judges and Lawyers, EIPA Luxembourg
|Module 1: EU legal system, EU law implementation at EU level, and the relationship between EU law and national laws|
|1.1 EU LEGISLATION|
|09.30||Principles founding the European Union’s legal system
|10.45||System of legal acts in the European Union
|13.30||Workshop: Recognising different types of legal acts
|1.2 THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN EU LAW AND NATIONAL LAWS|
|15.00||The effect of EU law in relation to national laws
Alina Domaradzka, Lecturer, European Centre for Judges and Lawyers, EIPA Luxembourg
|16.30||Case study: Applying EU law to a factual scenario
|17.30||Cocktail and end of day one|
|1.3 EU DECISION-MAKING PROCESS|
|09.00||Procedures for the preparation and adoption of legal instruments at EU level (I)
Petra Jeney, Senior Lecturer, European Centre for Judges and Lawyers, EIPA Luxembourg
|10.45||Procedures for the preparation and adoption of legal instruments at EU level (II)
|1.4 EU INTERNAL MARKET|
|13.45||Overview of the fundamental freedoms under Internal Market acquis
Igor Dizdarevic, Lecturer, European Centre for Judges and Lawyers, EIPA Luxembourg
|15.15||Case study: Cases of prohibited or justified practices restricting free movement between the Member States
|17.00||End of day two|